In my scripture studying this morning, I was reading a talk from President Henry B. Eyring form October 1999 entitled Always. I was struck especially by this one phrase “Do with Determination”.
He said ” I plead with you to do with determination the simple things that will move you forward spiritually. Start with remembering Him. you will remember what you know and what you love. The Savior gave us the scriptures, paid for by prophets at a price we cannot measure, so that we could know Him. Lose yourself in them. Decide now to read more, and more effectively than you have ever done before.”
My oldest son recently decided at age 14 that he was going to play football with the high school team-having never played football before. He has been training with them the past two months. If any of you have watched young men train for football, you know that it is intense. The physical training athlete’s go through is meant to be hard. It is meant to push them to their limits, in hopes of creating higher limits and deeper strength. One thing is for certain, that the boys who stick with it possess determination. They don’t give up. They show up. They endure through the toughest of challenges their coaches throw at them, even if they throw up. I have to say I’ve been impressed with my son. I honestly don’t think I could show up each day.
But you know what? We are asked to “show up each day” here in life. To keep trying. To persevere through our challenges even if we throw up–think difficult pregnancies here. President Erying continues
- “I plead with you to return to the scriptures in some way that opens your mind and heart to be taught.”
- “You have the right and obligation to choose for yourselves. You can search the scriptures or not. You can choose to work hard enough, to ponder, and to obey His commandments so that the Holy Ghost can be your companion.”
- “Or you can choose to delay. You can choose to drift, deciding past efforts will be enough.”
- “If you will let your heart be drawn to the Savior and always remember Him, and if you will draw near to our Heavenly Father in prayer, you will have put on spiritual armor.”
- “Whether or not you choose to keep your covenants to always remember Him, He always remembers you.”
- “I promise you that you will feel the influence of the Holy Ghost touch your heart as you search the scriptures with new purpose and as you pray earnestly. From that, you will have the assurance that God lives, that he answers prayers, that Jesus is the living Christ, and that He loves you. And you will feel your love for Him increase.”
I hope that this week I can “do with determination“. That no matter what challenges are thrown at me, that I won’t put studying the scriptures, praying, keeping my covenants with God, or giving service on the back burner.
I pray that we can all have the strength we need this week. Because when we put forth any effort-even reading our scriptures for 1 minute more than last week, we are showing God we are trying. And I know He rewards us for even the smallest efforts. I know that the only way I have “successful” weeks as a wife and mother are because He blesses me with strength and perspective.
I love you all. I am grateful for this journey called life. And I am tremendously blessed to travel this journey with so many amazing, good people. Look for the good. Let’s “do with determination” together this week. Who knows how much we can change the world for good when we each are striving individually together.
Life is Good. Share the Good.