The weather is finally more consistently warm where I live now, so that makes me think of BBQ season! One of my favorite things to eat in the summer is BBQ beef/pork sandwiches. I just love them so much!! When my son, Taylor, was having food sensitives, I had to find a new solution to store bought buns. This is the recipe I use, and it’s seriously so easy and it makes such a BIG difference to eat your shredded BBQ on a homemade bun versus a store bought bun. I hope you will give this recipe a try!
Just a note about my BBQ meat. When I cook a large beef roast, I don’t cut everything up into slices. I always try to save a chunk to shred. Then two meals that week are practically done with one day’s cooking. I love to cook a pork loin roast in the crockpot with some of my homemade stock in the bottom. In just a few hours, you have the perfect roast. It shreds to easily! (see recipe for my homemade stock below)
Then when I want to season it, I just use my favorite BBQ sauce, a good squirt of ketchup and a few splashes of Worcestershire sauce. I add the meat and those ingredients to a sauce pan and stir on low- medium heat until heated through. Be careful not to burn.:) OR if you’re in a hurry, just squirt on some BBQ sauce and call it good!
Now on to the Bun recipe!
- 2 C milk
- 6 TBSP butter
- 2 tsp salt
- 3 TBSP brown sugar
- 1/4 C warm water
- 4 1/2 tsp saf active yeast
- 1 egg OR 1 TBSP flaxseed+3 TBSP water(let this stand for several minutes-use if egg allergy)
- 7 C all purpose flour
- In a medium sauce pan, warm milk, butter, salt, and brown sugar stirring occasionally, until butter is almost completely melted. Cool until 110 degrees(if you’re patient, and I’m not– so I cool it a little, but never check with a thermometer).
- Meanwhile in a small bowl, combine warm water and yeast. Let stand 10 minutes.
- ***if using flaxseed instead of an egg, you will also mix the water and flaxseed and let stand 10 minutes or until thickened–otherwise set your egg aside for a few minutes.
- In a bosch machine or other mixer with the dough attachment, add your flour. Then pour in the milk mixture and egg OR flaxseed/water combo.
- Mix on speed 1 until combined. Then mix on speed 2 for 2 minutes. Remove dough hook, and replace lid on Bosch. Let rise for 15 minutes.
- On a slightly floured surface(I put parchment paper down with a little bit of flour), roll out the dough gently- leave it kind-of thick(about 1 inch).
- Using a biscuit cutter, cut out buns and place on a greased baking sheet. Once dough is all cut into buns, then cover and let rise for 20 minutes.
- Bake at 375 degrees for 20 minutes. Usually makes around 20 small buns.
I promise that once you try these homemade buns with your BBQ meat, you’ll never be the same. My kids loves these so much and get really excited when I make them–at least my kids who like to eat meat do. HA-HA! I hope your family will enjoy these too.
I hope that this weekend you will make some wonderful family memories whatever you cook!
Life is Good. Share the Good.
PS If you need a great dessert to take to a BBQ, my Carmelita’s are SO GOOD!!